For many car fans in Europe, the Toyota Fortuner is likely to be a completely unknown model from the largest car manufacturer in the world. In India and Southeast Asia, on the other hand, it is an absolute bestseller, where it serves as a universal device that is equipped for all eventualities. After there had been a major facelift for the pseudo off-roader last year, a more sporty one is now following GR Sport version. GR Sport is intended to mark the entry-level label into the world of sporty Toyotas, and only contain external modifications that ensure a more dynamic appearance. After all, you can't turn a ladder-frame SUV into a racing car, even with the greatest technical effort, because the Fortuner is definitely not designed for sporty cornering. We introduce you to the all-rounder, which is so much a part of the street scene in Asia, like a VW Passat in this country, in a little more detail.
Rear-wheel drive SUV in a classic design.
Curved lines or even a coupé shape are completely alien to a workhorse like the Fortuner, which is based on the Hilux pickup, which is also offered in this country. It does not attach importance to lifestyle, but shows clear edges in the design, which means that the space in the interior is extremely generous.
He may stand there on his legs when you compare him to the whole crowd of lifestyle SUV models, but he makes it clear, without obligation, that it is not important to him to shine on Maximilianstrasse in Munich or on Düsseldorf's Königsallee, but in tough everyday use . He is and remains an honest, rough nature boy with character, thanks to increased ground clearance can develop its true potential on poor roads or in rough terrain. In view of these facts, it seems almost bizarre that Toyota has now decided to name the model a version GR Sport to put on the side, which is mainly through sportier alloy wheels, The Elimination of all chrome parts and the newly designed wind deflectors on the doors differ from the conventional models.
So far, so good, and we are sure that this version will also be a bestseller, as the Fortuner has a huge fan base in India and Southeast Asia.
The charm of the 2000s reigns in the interior.
Despite the large central display for the navigation and infotainment system, the ambience of a classic off-roader prevails in the vehicle. An automatic selector lever and analog displays make it clear that this vehicle is limited to the essentials and does not try to shine with superfluous bells and whistles. Only the black leather upholstery allows a little luxury feeling to move into the cockpit.
Two drives are available.
Potential customers can choose from two drives with the Fortuner GR Sport. On the one hand stands a 2,4 liter turbo diesel with four cylinders, the 147 PS and 400 Newtonmeter delivers maximum torque, and on the other hand, the portfolio also includes one 2,7 liter suction gasoline with from 161 HP and an extremely modest 242 Newton meters of maximum torque. Unfortunately, we do not know anything about the performance, but the SUV, which has rear-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic transmission, should not attract sporty natures.
Our Summary to the Toyota Fortuner GR Sport:
A thoroughly successful vehicle, but we have the all wheel drive miss. From our point of view, such a vehicle would be even more versatile if it had four driven wheels. You can find a picture gallery at the end of the article. If we get more information about the changes, there will of course be an update for this report. You will be informed of this if you simply take ours Feed subscribe to. Have fun watching the pictures and stay true to us!
- Gloss black grille with GR emblem
- Front bumper with glossy black accessory set
- Door handles in body color
- Rear spoiler in a new design
- 20 inch light alloy wheels in special color (exclusively for GR Sport Edition)
- Interior in red and black
- Upholstery combined with perforated suede, decorated with red stitching and GR emblem
- Center console with inserts in silver, black synthetic leather and red stitching
- Ventilation nozzles in front in silver & chrome
- Door trim in black synthetic leather, decorated with decorative strips in silver
- Soft touch, perforated leather steering wheel cover, red 12 o'clock marking, red stitching, GR emblem
- Leather-covered gear knob
- Switch console with carbon fiber pattern
- Synthetic leather glove compartment
- new pedals
- Floor mats with GR Sport emblem
- Smart key remote control, developed exclusively for GR Sport models, with smart start function and GR emblem
- newly tuned transmission
- Double wishbone front suspension, four-link rear suspension with coil springs, new stabilizers, monotube shock absorbers
- ventilated brake discs front and rear, red brake calipers and GR emblem
- Toyota Safety Sense Pre-Collision System, Lane Departure Warning, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Blind Spot Assistant
- Rear cross traffic warning
Don't worry, of course that was far from being the case when it came to auto / auto tuning. Our magazine still has tens of thousands other tuning reports in stock. Do you want to see them all? Then just click HERE and look around. Or are you particularly interested in everything to do with the manufacturer Toyota? Then the following excerpt with other vehicles is definitely the right one.
Toyota Fortuner GR Sport makes its debut as a ladder-frame rear-wheel drive SUV.
Photo credit: Toyota
tuningblog.eu - on the subject of cars, motorcycles, bikes / ATV / scooters & Co., and of course our passion, the Tuning, we keep you up to date and report daily on cool vehicles from all over the world. It's best to subscribe to ours Feed and you will be automatically informed as soon as there is a new post.