Yamaha Motor today introduced the TY-E 2.0 electric trials bike. This is the next step in making motorcycling climate-neutral. The bike is set to be used at select rounds of the 2022 FIM Trials World Championship. In 2018, the company set itself the goal of becoming carbon neutral in all business areas by 2050. The development of the TY-E 2.0 is an important and unique approach by Yamaha to taking the next step towards that goal. As part of the FUN x EV concept, the TY-E 2.0 aims to provide unparalleled driving pleasure through the characteristics of an electric vehicle.
Yamaha TY-E 2.0 electric trials bike
The development of the TY-E 2.0 is based on the first TY-E model announced in 2018. It features a redesigned composite laminate monocoque frame that houses an electric drive unit. The bike is also equipped with a newly developed, lightweight battery that has around 2,5 times the capacity of the previous model. The new TY-E 2.0 is set to compete in the FIM Trials World Championship from June this year with Kenichi Kuroyama on the Yamaha Factory Racing Team, who also serves as a development rider. The TY-E 2.0 will also be on display at the Yamaha Motor booth at the 49th Tokyo Motorcycle Show, taking place from March 25th to 27th.
Composite laminate monocoque frame
- The TY-E features a monocoque frame made from composite material laminates that contribute to reduced weight and optimal rigidity. The layout of the drive and battery has been revised to compare to the previous model.
Newly developed lightweight battery with more capacity
- Yamaha has developed a new high-performance battery with higher power density and has managed to limit the weight increase to around 20% while achieving a capacity around 2,5 times that of the previous model.
The power unit is further refined by a combination of mechanical parts and electronic control
- Based on the previous model, traction has been improved by combining mechanical parts such as the clutch and flywheel with a carefully tuned electronic engine control capable of detecting the slightest changes in traction.
TY-E 2.0 specifications
|Total length × width × height||2,003 830 mm × mm × mm 1,130|
|Minimum ground clearance||340 mm|
|Empty weight||Over 70kg|
|Engine type||Synchronous AC electric motor|
|Clutch||Hydraulic, wet, multi-disc|
|Frame type||CFRP monocoque|
TY-E 2.0 features
- Battery with even higher power density and capacity thanks to new components
- New arrangement of components for a low center of gravity
- The power unit is further refined by a combination of electronic control and mechanical clutch and flywheel
- Composite monocoque frame with X-shaped rib structure
Of course, that wasn't the end of it. Our tuning magazine has countless other tuning reports in stock. And we also deal regularly with the subject of motorcycles and motorcycle tuning. Do you want to see all the articles about motorcycles and motorcycle tuning? Just click HERE and look around. Or is a small extract enough? Then take a look at the following Mopped posts.
Yamaha Motor develops TY-E 2.0 electric trials bike
Photo credit: Yamaha
tuningblog.eu - We keep you up to date on the subject of car and motorcycle tuning and car and motorcycle styling with our magazine and present you with new tuned vehicles and motorcycles from all over the world every day. It's best to subscribe to ours Feed and you will be automatically informed as soon as there is something new for this post and of course also to all other contributions.