Many people like to go outdoors, especially in the warm months CyclingFor which most of them have to get out of the city first and for this reason need a car in order to be able to cover the trip with the bike into nature. So that the bicycles can be transported easily, there are special transport solutions in the form of Bike racks. Here, however, the question arises how this exactly assembled and the correct position is not always clear. Furthermore, there are options for fastening from manufacturer to manufacturer differently, which is why tuningblog for you a summary of the most common systems and also provides explanations relating to installation, loading and the legal aspects to be observed.
Stabilizer bushing and clamp
- First, attach the so-called stabilizer socket to the ball neck of the trailer coupling. Then align the stabilizer bushing accordingly.
- Now insert the bicycle rack vertically into the stabilizer socket and lock it in place with a tommy nut.
- If you have one Trailer hitch which has a square ball neck, additional adapters are available for this.
- Slide the bike rack onto the tow ball head of the tow bar. Then align it horizontally.
- Now lock the bike rack on the ball head with the help of the enclosed socket wrench.
- Use a torque wrench to tighten the locking screw.
- Open the lever device completely before you place the bicycle carrier on the ball head.
- Now press the integrated clamping lever completely down and lock the anti-theft device.
- If you have a model with a clamping device, the anti-theft device for the bike rack is already included.
In this case, it is fastened using retaining arms. If your bike has a large frame, there are extensions. The advantages of this are:
- The bikes are easy to assemble
- The wind noise is practically non-existent
- The fuel consumption increases only minimally
- The trunk is usually still accessible
- Because the bikes are not exposed to the wind, they do not get dirty (insects, etc.)
Pedal arm attachment
It is attached to the pedal arm of the bike using a claw and is independent of the frame. Tips for assembly:
- Make sure that the ball head is free from grease.
- Note the diameter of the frames of the bikes
- If the ball carriers are made of aluminum, not all bicycles may be suitable.
- When assembling, start with the heaviest bike.
Here the bikes are secured with additional tire holders, which are also individually adjustable. However, there are a few things to consider here:
- 13 pin electrical kit required by law (§49a, StVzO)
- The recommended speed is 130 km / h
- Note the vertical load and the D-value of the trailer coupling
- If the third brake light is covered, the use of an extension is mandatory.
What if I don't have a towbar?
In this case there are a few alternatives:
- Fixing on the roof
This is where the bracket is attached to the roof. The bikes are assembled using frame holders and straps. Note the diameter of the frames.
- Attachment to the stern
The bicycles are fastened using tensioning elements fastened to the tailgate. Here you should follow the manufacturer's list of uses and your car should not have a spoiler or plastic strips at the rear.
- Inside the vehicle
Here the bicycles are mounted on the rails of the seat attachment, whereby the front wheel has to be removed. Here, too, the list of uses must be observed.
We hope that we were able to help you with the information on the subject of bicycle racks and their fastenings.
Of course that had not happened yet!
tuningblog has countless other articles on the subject of car and auto tuning in stock. Do you want to see them all? Just click HERE and look around. In part, we would like to provide you with news but also off the tuning. In our category Tips, products, information & Co We have reviews of car or accessories manufacturers, new ones Tuning Wiki Terms or one or the other Leak veröffentlicht. Following an excerpt of the last articles:
"Tuningblog.eu" - we keep you up to date on the subject of car tuning and car styling with our tuning magazine and we present you the latest tuned vehicles from all over the world every day. It's best to subscribe to ours Feed and will automatically be informed as soon as there is something new about this post, and of course also to all other contributions.