Reading time 5 Minutes
The temperature display of the cooling water is an immensely important indicator of whether the vehicle's engine is running works properly. The pointer moves permanently in the red area, something is definitely going wrong. If action is not taken as quickly as possible, it inevitably comes to Overheating of the engine. Expensive repairs and waiting times are the annoying consequences of those caused by overheating Engine damage, Also one Engine repairs up to write-off is within the realm of possibility if one does not act in time. If the engine temperature is permanently too high, you should stop, switch off the engine and, if possible, go to a workshop contact nearby. tuning blog has listed the most common causes of overheating.
How it works - where does the heat come from?
In the combustion engine, the piston is used as a drive Air-fuel mixture brought to a controlled explosion. This sets the engine's pistons in motion, which in turn increases the propulsion of the vehicle. However, the heat generated in the explosion must be discharged, WOF is Coolant flows through or past the engine.
On the Heat exchange the engine is cooled and the coolant is heated. The temperature of the cooling water can be seen on the display, depending on the vehicle, in the dashboard in the cockpit. This display is the most important indicator of possible overheating. In addition, further thermostats are attached directly or indirectly to the engine in order to monitor it. If these thermostats react to overheating, appropriate warning signals are given in the cockpit of current vehicles, which are better shouldn't ignore.
Causes of engine overheating
short-term excess normal temperature can occur and should be over fairly quickly. For example when a long time at high temperatures Camping trailer is transported to the mountains. Due to the low speed and the heavy load, the temperature can rise here. As a rule, however, this has nothing to do with a defect. But if the elevated temperature lasts longer for no obvious reasons, something is right in the basic engine and cooling process should not.
Possible causes can be:
- A defective viscous coupling of the fan with motors installed lengthways.
- The power supply for the cooling system is defective or, for example, has a loose contact, which means that the cooling system hardly works or not at all.
- The thermostat is defective, so the temperature displayed does not match the actual conditions.
- Air has got into the cooling system, whereby air is much more poorly able than the coolant to dissipate heat.
- Road dirt has entered the cooling process or the cooling air inlet is heavily soiled, so that the normal amount of air for the cooling process can no longer be achieved.
The cooling system is leaking - what to do
If a cooling system has a hole, it can go through it Coolant will escape and the amount has reached the critical range, as a result of which the normal cooling capacity is no longer given. The leakage can occur in the hoses, on the pump or at other critical points in the engine. As soon as the leak has been discovered and sealed and the missing amount of coolant has been replenished, overheating should no longer occur.
Faulty or defective thermostat
The thermostat is for that Temperature regulation of the cooling circuit responsible. If there are incorrect values, it is possible that only part of the circuit can work and thus lead to overheating. A simple engine check and, if necessary, a replacement of the defective thermostat should solve the problem. Usually the engine software is read out here in order to find the problem source, as several thermostats are usually installed.
- Air has got into the cooling system: Since air does not dissipate the same amount of heat as the coolant, overheating can occur. A vent of the motor should be the solution to the problem here.
- Defective viscous coupling of the fan: If the fan does not work properly, the motor can also overheat. A check and, if necessary, a replacement of the fan solves the problem.
- Electrical defects: In addition to the thermostats, other technical defects can also be the cause. Insufficient power supply interrupts the cooling circuit. After the defect has been rectified, the system is working properly again.
- Road dirt clogs the system: Cleaning the radiator network should also solve this problem and prevent overheating.
- Other causesIn older vehicles in particular, the ignition or carburettor set incorrectly and a defective water pump can be the result.
At the end... Regular maintenance of the cooling system is essential to prevent overheating. All important components are usually checked during an inspection. If problems should nevertheless arise, the engine must be switched off immediately in the event of overheating and a workshop nearby should be contacted. It is obvious that just plain coolant is missing so can in an emergency commercial water be used. Later, however, the water should be drained and replaced with an appropriate cooling liquid replaced will.
Of course, that wasn't the end of it!
tuningblog has countless other articles on the subject of car and auto tuning in stock. Do you want to see them all? Just click HERE and look around. In part, we would like to provide you with news but also off the tuning. In our category Tips, products, information & Co We have reviews of car or accessories manufacturers, new ones Tuning Wiki Terms or one or the other Leak veröffentlicht. Following an excerpt of the last articles:
"Tuningblog.eu" - we keep you up to date on the subject of car tuning and car styling with our tuning magazine and we present you the latest tuned vehicles from all over the world every day. It's best to subscribe to ours Feed and will automatically be informed as soon as there is something new about this post, and of course also to all other contributions.