You need to tow a trailer, but what license do you need? And what happens if you get caught without the right driver's license? Have you a drivers licence class B in your pocket, you can tow a trailer with up to 750 kilograms of permissible gross vehicle weight (GVW) behind you. This also applies to the heavier guys among the truck drivers with classes C1 and C. But be careful! If you exceed the weight, you must be able to wave with the appropriate driver's license, otherwise you may be in danger of being arrested Fine for Driving without permission. Now let's butter the fish: what can you do with it? Class B driving license do?
Trailer driving license: you can do that with class B!
You are allowed to contact one Total mass of a maximum of 3.500 kilograms venture onto the street. That's you, your vehicle and of course your trailer. Up to eight friends You can take it with you, because overall you are allowed nine sitting in the car. But be careful: Lawn is not! Most combinations are allowed maximum 80 km/h drive. So: The towing vehicle and trailer together must not exceed 3.500 kilograms and please remember the support load Trailer hitch and check the towing capacity of the car.
Now it's special for those who want more:
- With B 96 can it be a little more. You are allowed to bring teams here up to 4.250 kilograms steer. This also includes a trailer that is heavier than 750 kg. A short trip to the driving school is enough – exam? Is not needed!
- BE makes you the king of the road. At least almost. Here you are allowed up to 7.000 kg move, with neither car nor trailer more than 3.500 kg allowed to weigh. But you have to invest a little more time here: at least five practical hours at driving school and a driving test are required. Theory test? No!
- You have the old class 3. You are lucky! If you exchange your driving license, you will automatically receive class BE with the little extra of the key number 79.06. This means you can also tow really heavy trailers.
A short excursion into criminal law:
It is no It is a trivial offense to tow a trailer without the correct driving license. Whether out of ignorance or intention – the owner and the driver can be punished:
- The intent You risk a fine and, in the worst case, even up to a year in prison.
- was it a Mistake, then you can face a fine of up to 180 daily rates, and in extreme cases even up to half a year behind Swedish curtains.
- And the car? The police could first collect this on site.
Long story short: Find out which driving license is required before you set off with a trailer. And what about uncertainties? The driving school around the corner will be happy to help you and may even have the right driving course for you!
That wasn't it yet.
Planned changes to the law, traffic violations, current regulations in the area of the STVO, etc.? You can find everything about this in the category "Test sites, laws, offenses, information".