When the main inspection is due again, many drivers wonder whether falling rocks could possibly become a problem. The answer to that is-> JA! A rockfall can actually lead to the main inspection problem. And then when the rock fall from TÜV or DEKRA as significant lack of security is classified. If this is the case, the glass damage will be reflected accordingly on the Notice of defects noted. If you do not remedy the defect in the near future, the main inspection for the vehicle is considered to have failed. In the event of a rockfall, the examiner looks at the driver's field of vision, the entire look of the windshield, as well as the depth and size of the rockfall. For example, if the stone chip is in the black area, the examiner will definitely have objections. More information is available under "Which rockfalls cannot be repaired / when is a rockfall in the field of vision?"
Who only care for very specific bullet points around
interested in the topic of falling rocks in the windshield,
the can directly use the following jump labels
navigate to the desired topic. Likewise comes
from the selected menu item at any time with only
one click back to this overview.
- What about scratches?
- Which stone chips are (not) repairable?
- When is a rockfall in the field of vision?
- What are the legal conditions?
- Why fix stone chips immediately?
- When does the repair make sense?
- What is defined as a field of view?
- Are there fines for falling rocks?
- What are the costs for the repair?
- Can I do the repair myself?
It depends on how severe these scratches are. If your disc is already very “worn out” in general, this can also become a problem. This is often the case with vehicles that are more than 5 years old or with vehicles that have had a lot of contact with dust, dirt and debris. Minimal wear from the windscreen wipers, however, is normal and should not lead to any problems during the main inspection. (Back to overview)
There are 3 basic rules of thumb in the event of a rockfall that can help in assessing the damage.
- The rockfall is not within the black border that runs around the windshield.
- The rockfall is not within sight or within the steering wheel distance.
- The rockfall is no bigger than a 2 euro coin. (Back to overview)
When repairing damage caused by stone chips, there are a few requirements that must be met. These conditions refer to §40 of the StVO. The conditions are:
- The damage must be on the outside of the windshield and not on the inside or on the plastic film.
- The area of damage must be free from contamination and moisture.
- The diameter of the crater at the point of impact must not be larger than 5 mm.
- Radial cracks starting from the point of impact must not be longer than 50 mm and must not end in the window seal rubber.
In addition, at least the following conditions must be met for the repair to be considered successful and appropriate:
- If the damage is circular, a so-called bullseye, which has a diameter of up to 2 cm, an air inclusion with a maximum diameter of 0,5 mm is permissible. In the case of damage that is larger than 2 cm in diameter, the number of permissible air inclusions increases to 2.
- In the case of glass cracks, these must be completely filled with resin. The maximum percentage of unfilled areas is a maximum of 10 percent of the crack length - but only if these areas are not located at the end of the crack or are present there.
- The maximum value for a film detachment, the so-called delamination, is a maximum of 5 mm beyond the glass damage.
- Matt spots are not allowed under any circumstances. Due to the requirements of the StVO, both a clear view and a film that is free from damage must be given. If both criteria are not met, it is not permitted. (Back to overview)
If your windshield shows damage in the field of vision, this is not insignificant for your safety. Depending on where the rock fall is, your view is sometimes severely restricted, which significantly increases the risk of an accident. For example, if you are out on the country road at night and a vehicle comes towards you that has switched on the high beam, you will be very dazzled anyway. The refraction of light caused by the rockfall even intensifies this effect, which ultimately results in you being out of focus for several seconds, which can have serious consequences. In addition, the damage in itself is a relatively strong distraction while driving - whether during the day or at night - and the risk of the window breaking is also significantly increased. After all, a windshield can tear completely as a result of the pressure of the airstream or a shock. After all, it is always under tension. (Back to overview)
- With partial comprehensive insurance: In principle, you do not have to pay anything for the repair or, if at all, only a small part.
- If the rockfall is towards the edge of the pane: The risk of even larger cracks is extremely high here, which is why the damage should be repaired as quickly as possible.
- Multiple stone chips: Here, too, the risk of the window breaking is extremely high and you should therefore have a repair carried out quickly. (Back to overview)
- Steering wheel center -> to the right -> 14,5 cm
- Steering wheel center -> to the left -> 14,5 cm
- defines the height of the field of vision: limited by the area covered by the windscreen wiper (Back to overview)
You should always take care of the repair of the damage quickly. Even when NOT the date for the main inspection is due. Depending on the size and location of the rockfall damage, a fine of up to 90 euros (according to No. 214.2 Catalog of Fine Ordinance) and 1 point is due in Flensburg because the vehicle is in poor operating condition. (Back to overview)
The current repair procedures are now at a very high level and are particularly safe. Such repairs usually cost no more than 100 euros. And most insurance companies cover the costs completely, waiving the deductible. Repairing minor damage is a sure thing. Replacing the entire pane is often unnecessary. (Back to overview)
Repairing a vehicle window is safety-relevant and therefore not for hobby mechanics and hobbyists. And of course that also applies to the use of special repair kits that are freely available in stores. Special tools and special training are required to ensure perfect work. The point with the damage must, for example, be placed under a kind of "bell". The repair resin then gets into every crack under high pressure. The duration is sometimes very short with less than 30 minutes for the entire process. (Back to overview)
Of course that had not been the case.
tuningblog.eu has a lot of other articles on the subject of auto & tuning in stock. Do you want to see them all? Just click HERE and look around. But also planned changes in the law, violations in road traffic, current regulations in the field of STVO or on the subject inspection we would like to inform you regularly. Everything you can find in the category "Test sites, laws, offenses, information". Following an excerpt of the last information:
"Tuningblog.eu" - we keep you up to date on the subject of car tuning and car styling with our tuning magazine and we present you the latest tuned vehicles from all over the world every day. It's best to subscribe to ours Feed and will automatically be informed as soon as there is something new about this post, and of course also to all other contributions.