One can probably say in these days that everything has to do with fake, is currently in fashion. Be it fake news or false eyelashes, there's nothing you can not manipulate. The latest fashion in cars is that so-called fake exhaust pipes are installed, which consist of exhaust baffles, behind which barely visible hides the actual tailpipe. This trend started in China, when various Chinese car companies had the idea to hide the mostly tiny tailpipes behind panels to suggest larger exhaust pipes. This trend has also swept over to Europe, and even a premium brand like Mercedes-Benz or Audi fitted its current SUVs and SUV coupes and also more and more sedans with the exhaust covers.
Audi, VW & Mercedes seem to love fake tailpipes
Chinese car manufacturers such as Changan or Geely are already installing fake four-pipe systems in their SUV coupes to pretend to be more sporty. The trigger for the hype around exhaust tips, however, was the last generation of the Lexus LS, which had square tailpipes that were eventually copied by other car companies in the form of these fake exhaust pipes. When it comes to performance optimization or noise reduction, these exhaust covers naturally do not make any changes, and it may be difficult for tuning enthusiasts to remove these covers in order to then screw a real sports exhaust system onto the car. Even crazier and more stupid is by the way this variant for sticking on!
Advantages of a fake exhaust:
- The design of the car with a fake exhaust looks very high quality and sporty.
- It is a very cost-effective way for car manufacturers to optically polish cars out.
- The engine noise is more civilized than with a real four-pipe system.
Disadvantages of a fake exhaust:
- If you look closely, the wrong exhaust can be seen, as the real tailpipes are hidden behind.
- Some manufacturers make the fake exhaust pipes look very cheap.
- In a rear impact, it is more expensive than with a real exhaust.
- Tuning enthusiasts must first remove the wrong exhaust, if you want to attach a real sports exhaust system to the vehicle.
Of course that had not happened yet!
tuningblog.eu has countless other articles on the subject of auto & tuning in stock. Do you want to see them all? Just click HERE and look around. But also off the tuning we want to provide you with news. Themes that go beyond the box you will find in our category Tips, products, information & Co. Following an excerpt from the last reports:
"Tuningblog.eu" - we keep you up to date on the subject of car tuning and car styling with our tuning magazine and present you the latest tuned vehicles from all over the world every day. It's best to subscribe to ours Feed and will automatically be informed as soon as there is something new for this post, and of course also to all other contributions.