It comes to one Jam, then the formation of a rescue alley mandatory. However, many drivers do not know that an emergency lane must actually be formed when the vehicles are on a motorway or a multi-lane road only at walking pace on the way. If the formation of an emergency corridor is not started in time, it may be too late for the emergency services to approach or there is not enough space left. Therefore: In the event of a traffic jam, all road users must form an emergency lane between the left and the other lanes. The hard shoulder must remain free.
Correctly form the emergency lane:
If you drive into the left lane, always give way left-wing the end. If you are on a different lane, then give way right-wing the end. As soon as you get close to the traffic jam, you can too Hazard lights Activate to warn other drivers of the danger.
Are you allowed to drive on the hard shoulder?
The hard shoulder must always stay free, as it is structurally not intended to be driven on. The only exception is if the police ask you to drive on the hard shoulder or if it is for reasons of space there is no other optionto form a rescue alley.
Are you allowed to drive up to the emergency lane?
Absolutely no way. Only emergency services are allowed to drive on the rescue alley. These include fire brigades, ambulances, police, medical vehicles or tow vehicles.
What to do when a construction site or a narrowing of the lane is approaching?
Even when a construction site or a narrowing of the road is approaching, you should try to stay as far left or right as possible. If the lane is very narrow, it may sometimes be necessary to use some of the median or hard shoulder (depending on which side you are driving on).
Which regulations affect motorcyclists?
Apply to motorcyclists and motorcyclists same rules as for motorists. There are none Exceptions.
Creation of a rescue corridor abroad: Here you will find the country-specific regulations!
There are also comparable regulations regarding the formation of a rescue alley in the Switzerlandin Sloveniain Hungary and in Czech Republic. In Austria the formation of a rescue alley is even directly anchored in the traffic law.
- In Austria, the formation of an emergency lane on motorways and expressways with more than two lanes in one direction is mandatory. When traffic is slow, road users must either keep as far to the right or as far to the left as possible (depending on which side they are driving on).
- In Hungary, a lane for emergency services must remain free in the event of a traffic jam. Otherwise the same regulations apply as in Austria.
- In Belgium, one lane must remain free in a traffic jam and the same rules apply as in Germany.
- In France there are no regulations for the formation of an emergency corridor like in Germany, for example. However, you must give emergency services the opportunity to drive past you.
- In Luxembourg, an emergency lane must be created on two-lane carriageways. If there are three lanes in one direction, the emergency lane must be formed between the leftmost lane and the remaining lanes. You are also allowed to use the hard shoulder in Luxembourg.
- In Italy there are no regulations regarding the formation of an emergency corridor.
- As in Italy, there are no legal regulations in this regard in the Netherlands.
- On a road with two lanes in one direction, an emergency lane must be created in the middle of the two lanes. If there are three or more lanes, the emergency lane must be formed between the left and the second lane from the left.
- Here, the emergency lane must be formed in the middle with two lanes and on sections with more than two lanes between the left and the adjacent lane.
- In the event of a traffic jam, one lane must remain free. Otherwise the same regulations apply as in Austria.
- In Spain there are no regulations for the formation of an emergency corridor like in Germany, for example. However, you must give emergency services the opportunity to drive past you.
- The emergency lane must be formed in the middle on two-lane carriageways. Otherwise, on multi-lane lanes like in Austria, the emergency lane must be created between the left and the adjacent lane.
- On a two-lane road, the emergency lane must be formed in the middle. If the road has more than two lanes in one direction, the emergency lane must be formed between the left and the other lanes.
Failure to comply can result in fines:
If you do not form a rescue alley, it can be too juicy in Germany Fines come. Do not form a rescue alley you pay at least 200 euros fine and get two points in Flensburg. If you are disabled, endangered or damaged, the penalties are even stricter.
At a disability 240 euros are due and you also get 2 points in Flensburg and 1 month driving ban. In the event of a hazard, 280 euros are due in addition to the driving ban and the two points in Flensburg. If there is damage to property, the fine is already 320 euros and of course you also get two points in Flensburg and a one-month driving ban.
Of course, that wasn't the end of it.
tuningblog.eu has a lot of other articles on the subject of auto & tuning in stock. Do you want to see them all? Just click HERE and look around. But also planned changes in the law, violations in road traffic, current regulations in the field of STVO or on the subject inspection we would like to inform you regularly. Everything you can find in the category "Test sites, laws, offenses, information". Following an excerpt of the last information:
"Tuningblog.eu" - we keep you up to date on the subject of car tuning and car styling with our tuning magazine and we present you the latest tuned vehicles from all over the world every day. It's best to subscribe to ours Feed and will automatically be informed as soon as there is something new about this post, and of course also to all other contributions.